“How Beautiful upon the Mountains…”
“Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.” John F. Kennedy
Dr. Dan Lunsford, President of Mars Hill College, announced in 2013, at the beginning of the new school year that the school would change its name to Mars Hill University. According to Dr. Lunsford, “Changing the designation form college to university positions our institution to be recognized for what we really are.” The move connotes a more diverse and vibrant variety of course offerings, along with opportunities to obtain both undergraduate and graduate education in select fields. In short, the school is improving and expanding services for its students, alumni and faculty. Likewise Mars Hill Retirement Community had just finished renovations to enhance its ability to serve clients and their families. We believe we should follow the lead of Mars Hill University in positioning for the future. Mars Hill Retirement Community is a member of the Assisted Living Federation of America ( ALFA) and follows ALFA’s Philosophy of Care for Assisted Living:
- Offering cost-effective quality care that is personalized for individual’s needs
- Fostering independence for each resident
- Treating each resident with dignity and respect
- Promoting the individuality of each resident
- Allowing each resident choice of care and lifestyle
- Protecting each residents choice of care and lifestyle
- Protecting each residents right to privacy
- Nurturing the spirit of each resident
- Involving family and friends, as appropriate, in care planning and implementation
- Providing a safe residential environment
Building a retirement community on the Mars Hill University was the brainchild of Mr. Justus (Jud) Ammons, a developer, and David Ammons, son and owner, who manages communities across North and South Carolina. Mars Hill Retirement Community opened in 2000, and to this day it continues to be on the cutting edge in the retirement industry.
Mars Hill Retirement Community is located adjacent to the University and is one of the few retirement communities in the state that offers the educational opportunities, cultural activities and all other amenities of living on a university campus.
The prestigious Southern Appalachian Repertory Theatre provides a world class theatre experience! The Heritage and Bascombe Lamar Lunsford Festivals showcase our mountain music, arts and crafts. Neighbors and visitors alike are thrilled by world renowned Bailey Mountain Cloggers, who assure that “senior audits” are not left out just because they may not be able to move about as they once could!